Sunday, October 05, 2003

There's always hope

Earlier today, I got a phone call from my friend Laura in Florida. She wanted to catch up and see how things were going with me. She told me about the fund raiser she organized for the deaf center (where she works), and I told her about the fund raiser I attended for the Williamson County Humane Society organized by my friend Shandell (who did an excellent job, I might add). I told her about the boys soccer team I coach winning their game on Saturday, and she told me about how her Party Lites stuff is going.

And then we discussed our families ... I didn't have much to report other than talking about my upcoming visit to Dallas next weekend to see my grandmother, who will be coming in from West Virginia to see her great-granddaughter and to celebrate mine and Ron's birthday (which is on Tuesday ... hint, hint). And then Laura told me about her mom ... On Saturday, Laura got an e-mail from her mother letting Laura know that she got married on Friday. For the ELEVENTH time. You've got to admire a woman who can find nine different guys willing to marry her. (She married two of the husbands twice each.) So, as I sit single on the brink of 36 (on Tuesday, in case you missed it the first time), Laura's mom reminded me that there's always hope. Well, she also reminded me that she might be a little on the crazy side.

Surprisingly enough, I'm reminded of a story. A couple of years ago, Laura attended a wedding in Ft. Worth. Since her husband was unable to fly in, I was called in as the backup date. Laura was helping with the wedding, so she was behind the scenes making sure things went smoothly. Laura's mom and I sat together during the ceremony. Near the end, we were discussing the service, and she told me she thought it was a beautiful ceremony and that it reminded her of her wedding. To which I replied, "Which one?" :)

No comments: