Monday, September 05, 2005

Doctor Improvisation

One of my softball teams had a game tonight. (Yes, on Labor Day.) And since we didn't have a full team show up, we only played 3 outfielders. (Also, we didn't have a second baseman, and a player on the other team played catcher for us. Needless to say, we lost.)

I ended up playing centerfield, which is a lot of room for an old guy like me to cover. Luckily, I make up for it by being really, really slow. One of their players hit a fly ball in between me and the rightfielder, so I took off after it. At the last minute, I dove for it, caught it, landed on my left shoulder, and rolled a couple of times. The crowd went wild! Ok, it was little kids and they were already screaming, but in my version of the story, they were screaming for my incredible catch.

When I got home, I wanted to put an ice pack on my shoulder. I thought it was already in the freezer, but I couldn't find it. I looked in several places it might have been, but my search turned up empty. Sometimes you just have to improvise:

http://donyoung.us/images/shoulder_ice.jpg

September 10th followup: Since the pain never went away, even with the "frozen vegetable" packs, I went to the clinic today to have the shoulder checked out. And after a quick three hour visit, they told me the shoulder was separated, specifically an Acromio-Clavicular Separation. Some of the ligaments were torn as well, but they should heal just fine with rest. It looks like I'll have to take a few weeks off from softball.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww! My poor baby! *blows kisses to your shoulder* hehe I said blow. Hope it feels better soon!

Anonymous said...

Frozen peas work better :-)

Don Young said...

So I've heard, Mysti. Frozen corn has been a popular suggestion as well. However, I didn't have any in my freezer. Heck, I'm not even sure how the broccoli got there. Vile weed!

Anonymous said...

I was that right fielder, and it was a spectacular catch to be sure! I think the team owes you a real bag of ice!

saurav said...

quite informative post .... keep it up...
have a great weekend....