Thursday, June 22, 2006

It was just as if everyone had swelled.

In the movie Grosse Pointe Blank Martin Blank, played by John Cusack, is a professional assassin who is sent on a mission to a small Detroit suburb, Grosse Pointe. By coincidence, his ten-year high school reunion is taking place there at the same time. His secretary/admin Marcella is trying to convince him to go, and when he asks if she went to hers, she replies, "Yes I did. It was just as if everyone had swelled."

That quote always reminds me of high school reunions in general, and the movie itself reminds me of MY high school reunions. Not because any of my classmates are professional assassins (as far as I know), but because the Martin Blank character graduated in 1986, as I did.

Plus, I was thinking of that movie this past weekend at my twenty-year high school reunion. Yes, some people had "swelled". But some were thinner than they were at the ten-year. Some looked the same as high school, while others were almost unrecognizable. Some were still married to their high school sweethearts, while others ... uh ... well, others weren't. Some were still living in town, while others hadn't been back since graduation.

I tried to talk to everyone in attendance, but I have been known to ramble (yes, really) so I just ran out of time. While catching up, here are the three most common questions I heard:
  1. Where's your brother? My incredibly handsome twin brother was in the Dominican Republic for work, so he and his family were unable to attend. I didn't think anything of it since we haven't lived in the same town for almost fifteen years, but I guess my classmates were used to seeing us together. I thought about changing shirts periodically so that I could pretend both of us were there, and I thought about being a jerk to everybody while I was "Ron". But that seemed like too much work.

  2. How's your dad? My old man was a vocal fixture at our football practices and games, as well as our basketball games. Plus, he was a little league baseball coach for three years for me and several classmates. For the record, he's doing fine and is still as vocal as ever (as noted here).

  3. So you're not married? (or a variation of that) Nope, still not. I hear it's because I'm kind of a jerk. :)
All-in-all, it was lot of fun. I look forward to the next one.


August Update: Here are a small subset of the photos from the reunion. And by subset, I mean "ones with me in them."

My classmate Mark's wife Lonie, me, and my classmate Dawna. Even I can look studly if you surround me with beautiful women.


Dawna, Scott, Scott's wife Lori, Cindy, me, and Mark. I'm really enjoying my $2 cup of coke.


Me at the reunion picnic. I was on my way to go play in the bouncy room behind me ... uh, I mean I was on my way to supervise the kids.

7 comments:

Deanna said...

Uggh, don't remind me that mine will come up soon. Twenty years. I guess, then, that's how long we've known each other! Crazy.

Anonymous said...

Is deanna naked in her picture?!?! Oh my gosh! I loved the story and especially the one that referred back to your trip here to see Abby! Nutsy the clown... just gets me every time! - Laura

Anonymous said...

Man, I wish I could have been there. Talk about having swelled...

I trust you represented the former IP Tuba section well...

Deanna said...

Hee hee, people always ask me that. It's what I love about the picture!

Anonymous said...

Yes, it was a shame I missed it. Chandra was very disappointed that we couldn't go (I don't think there is an emoticon made to show the sarcasm in that last statement).

By the way, I thought you weren't married because you were gay - well, that's what I've been telling everyone.

Anonymous said...

Ohmyyyyygoooooddddddd

Anonymous said...

gay? huh??????????