Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I'm popular in Brazil!

Several years ago I was sent on a two-week business trip to Brasilia, Brazil. We were installing our software at several locations of a large bank. Since it was important that the computers be available during business hours we were only allowed to work on those computers during the night. And because we were sleeping during the day it didn't allow much time for sightseeing.

One evening the computers weren't available so a group of us, and our translator (none of us spoke Portuguese), decided to find a dance club. Our translator took us to what he thought was a popular place. And it was crowded. The place was full of incredibly stunning women. But something seemed a little off.

We sat at a table, and I observed my surroundings. I noticed that there were more women than men (about a 6:1 ratio), and that there wasn't really an unattractive woman in the place. Also, it seemed that every guy (or group of guys) in the place was being chatted up by the ladies. I pointed that out to the translator, and he went to get more details on the club.

He came back to the table and told us what kind of bar it was in Portuguese. When we all stared at him blankly - since we didn't speak the language - he told us in English, "This is a prostitute bar." Prostitution is legal in Brazil (or it was back then), and this club was for men to come see what was available, buy the lady some drinks, negotiate a price, and take her back home.

Later, I made the mistake of asking someone to dance. She considered that the beginning of our negotiations, and she became rather offended when our translator had to tell her I just wanted to dance. After talking to me through the translator, she finally said, "Why even come to a country if you don't speak the language?" :)

So I sat at the table and didn't ask anyone to dance. Unfortunately, that didn't work too well either. Since there were so many more women than men, the odds were that a girl wasn't going to be "chosen." And if she wasn't, then she didn't get any money. So if there was a guy by himself, one of the ladies was going to talk to him and try to start the negotiations. I fended off many women that evening.

For a moment I thought I was extremely popular in Brazil.

EPILOGUE: When our group got back to the hotel our concierge asked us about our evening. After telling him, he told us that we didn't have to go that place because the hotel would provide those services for us. Apparently, they had a book with pictures of "working women" for the guests to choose from. Your choice was then called and sent to your room. The reason the hotel provided this service is because they would charge you for having a guest in your room overnight.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude,
That sounds like a busniess trip I took to Amsterdam (on IBM of course). I wandered in to the Red Light district. One of the "Window Ladies" spoke to me in Dutch. When I replied that I did not speak the lingo, she replied, "Ah, You America. Come here America, I take care of you!!" Story ends with be doing my best Monty Python retreating impersonation (Run Away!! Run Away!!)

Lanny

Deanna said...

This is tangentally connected, and since you were curious, here is what you wrote on the back of your senior picture before giving it to me in 1986. (I could have sent this to you privately--but what's the fun of that?)

Deanna,
Every now & then you meet a girl who changes your life completely around, making each day a new hope and a new beginning. Dammit, I sure wish I could find one.
Donald

On your twin tuxedo portrait from prom, you said:

Deanna
Sorry about the quality, eh? Looks, intelligence, personality, modesty: when possessed by a person, this person has great popularity & the friendship of his peers. Now aren't you glad you met us?
Ron & Don

Funny how little you've changed...

Don Young said...

Man, I was funny when I was young. :)