Saturday, June 21, 2008

I may be right, but I'm also hungry

When I'm paying cash for anything and I don't have the exact amount, I like to give what seems like an unusual amount so that I can get the fewest number of coins back. For example, if the total is $4.86, and I don't have 86 cents, I'll give $5.11 so that I can get a quarter back. An added benefit is the look of confusion in the face of the cashier when I hand them the unusual amount.

One Saturday morning, many years ago, I was on my way to work, and I decided to stop for breakfast. I'm not really a fan of Burger King, but it was very close to my apartment, so I hit the drive-thru for a breakfast sandwich and a drink.

My total was $2.79. I gave the cashier $2.84 expecting a nickel back. She proceeded to give me 4 pennies back as change. I stared at the change, looked back at her, and asked, "Uh, excuse me. I gave you $2.84."

She replied, "No, you gave me $2.83."

I thought, "Now why would I give her 3 extra pennies just to get 4 back?" And I also knew that I gave her 4 pennies --- not 3 --- and that she was a big stinky poopy. So I muttered some obscenities under my breath and roared out of the drive-thru in anger.

I calmed down on the 15 minute drive to work. However, as I sat in my office I was still thinking about how right I was. Then I realized something.

I never got my food.

I had two options: 1) slink back to Burger King and get my food, or 2) forget about it and learn a $2.84 lesson in anger management. Or a $2.83 lesson if you believe the cashier. I went with option 2, and I've never gone back to that Burger King.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a goofball!

I once angered an employee of McDonald's BEFORE i got my food, and when i got home with my order of a grilled chicken sandwich, it seems they had 'forgotten' to add the chicken and all i had was a bun and lettuce.

Anonymous said...

lmao..that is funny! ; )

Anonymous said...

This story leads me to believe I may be your long-lost triplet.

Anonymous said...

Lanny sez:
When I was in high school, I had a job at a local grocery store. I left that job because one of the managers (a woman if you can believe it) had a problem with minorities. On my last day I went to the office to pick up my last paycheck. True to her form, she tossed a racial slur at me. I was so pissed off, I walked out of the store with out my $300 paycheck.