Saturday, January 02, 2010

Make a joyful noise!

Singing is much too enjoyable to only be done by those who are good at it. - Molly Ivins

I sing in my church choir. I sing not because I'm good at it, but because I enjoy it. I have a kind voice: the kind that should be singing quieter. The Bible tells us many times to make a joyful noise or to sing His praises; nowhere does it say we have to be in tune.

I never sang in my school choir, and I've never had any formal training. I can read music because of my years in the school band (playing the tuba, because I was just so cool), but I can't look at a note and sing the pitch I should be singing. I don't have perfect pitch, or even reasonably-close pitch. I don't harmonize, and I have no training in music theory. In fact, I didn't know what part I would sing until my first rehearsal. My range is limited, my voice is shaky, and my pitch is questionable.

But I like to sing. Put me next to someone who is singing the correct pitch, and I do my best to match it. I try not to sing too loud except when the song really moves me, and then I make no guarantees. I keep rehearsals lively with my sarcastic and slightly disruptive comments. I perform to the best of my abilities with all the talent that I have.

I make a joyful noise.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy new year.

Troy Cary said...

I have always believed to do the best with what you have...

Troy

Jaime said...

What up. I subscribe to your blog now :) And you criticize your singing too much I say. From what I hear, good work i done by you. But I think your spirit is right on. Anytime I sing and start getting all nervous, I just close my eyes, breathe it out, and Remember: This isn't about me. It's about Him.

And that's where the focus should be. On makin that noise and makin it joyful. Great post :)

--Jaime from choir :)
(and you do keep rehearsals lively -- love it!)