Sunday, April 24, 2011

I will always have hope

My church has kicked off a fundraising campaign for renovating the sanctuary, and members have been asked to write devotionals for a six week series. The following is the devotional I wrote for the third week on hope.

“Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.” (Proverbs 3:5-6, NIV).

I was laid off from my job of 8.5 years at the end of March. Like many layoffs, it was due to financial reasons, not because of performance. I was fortunate to have survived several rounds of layoffs over the years because I had been working on a product that was important to the long-term success of the company. That was not the case this time.

Since then I have had a few job interviews, both on the phone and in person. On a couple of occasions I was content with how I performed in the interview, but none of those opportunities have resulted in job offers so far. I have several months left before not having a job will start taking a toll financially, but hopefully an opportunity comes along before then.

I don’t know what God’s plan is for me, but I’m not going to confine what He can do by my limited human imagination. I know that whatever happens in my life He can use it for the good of His kingdom. As the psalmist in Psalm 71:14 said, “I will always have hope.”

Father, help me to trust the plan you have for my life and to be patient waiting for your perfect timing. Be a lamp for my feet, Lord, and make my path straight. Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don,

I am sorry for your trial, and am encouraged and inspired by your faith and hope! You have always been a light and landmark in my life. You and Ron came into my life at a time when I was young and impressionable. Fortunately, I was able to avoid the pitfalls of your influence and come out the other side in good shape. LOL

Life has taught me several lessons recently, not the least of which is that when we least expect it, something will change. How we react to that change will define us from that point on. You, my brother, are on the right path. And I am glad you are still part of my life, even if only from afar.

Scott