Sunday, April 30, 2006

Do we really need any more sports channels?

I remember how it used to be, back when we had ABC Wide World of Sports and the "agony of defeat", a few college football games on Saturday, a few NFL games on Sunday, and Monday Night Football. Now, we have ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN U, ESPN Classic, ESPNews, FOX Sports Net, The Golf Channel, MLB Extra Innings, NBA TV, NFL Network, and others. We have Monday Night Football on Mondays AND Thursdays. You can watch an entire season of NASCAR races (right turns not included). Baseball, cycling, hockey, moto-cross, skateboarding, and surfing are all televised.

Do I like all the sports channels? Of course, but I think we're running out of sports to televise. ESPN is broadcasting their own movies. ESPN Classic shows old sports movies. And for some reason, you can watch fat, sweaty guys playing poker. Well, unless it's celebrity poker, and then you can watch thinner B-list celebrities playing poker. Badly.

I was prompted to ask whether or not we needed more sports channels when I was channel surfing last week. First, I stumbled across the National Paintball Championship. I've played paintball before, and I'll be the first to admit that it's fun, but I sure wouldn't watch my game on TV. I imagine it would be like watching paint dry. Literally.

And second, after switching off of the riveting paintball match, I ended up watching the World Dart Championship. There were player bios, the exciting dart-cam (where you could see the shot from just behind the dart in super slo-mo), and actual fans in attendance. I imagine most were family and friends, but who knows, maybe there are dart groupies out there.

Right now, I'm trying to negotiate a contract with ESPN 8 (The Ocho) to televise my church-league softball games, but they're balking at my stipulation that they only show games in which I play well.

They've determined that only amounts to one game every three years.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Don't feel bad Don, I got turned down for my idea of under water basket weaving:(

Anonymous said...

As usual... I have the same comment: FREAK! Luv you lots!

Don Young said...

Laura, it's not nice to call people freaks, you freak! :)

Anonymous said...

I caught part of that Dart championship, it came on right after the bowling leagues. They never televise the sports shows I want to see... like championship rock climbing or world class scuba...

Anonymous said...

With so many college football bowl games on TV, I'd like to see one more, matching the 2 worst teams in the land. Let's call it the Toilet Bowl, play it at Shea Stadium in Flushing Meadows, NY in mid-January. It can be on ESPN2 at midnight between paintball and darts...

Anonymous said...

The sad thing is that there is a Paintball league. Honey, start shopping for a bigger house, I'm turning pro.

Don, you could get them to televise our basketball games and ask them to show only the games where you throw the ball at my head. They could have the crowd (of 3) yell "WAH!" or "Is he hurt? Time to call the WAHmbulance!" Good TV right there - well, better than the WNBA.

Don Young said...

For the record, I was throwing it at the other guy's head - the one who fouled me and didn't call it. You just happened to be in the way.

And I think the World Dart Championship was better TV than the WNBA.

Anonymous said...

Try getting up a 6am, going down to Fado and watching 22 guys chase a soccer ball, getting excited about it, then throwing a temper tantrum when your team loses 0-3. That was my weekend.

-- Lanny

Anonymous said...

I think I'd actually like to see some OSQ sports on "The Ocho".... It's gotta be the hair Cotton!