Thursday, January 29, 2009

I just met the future version of me

This might surprise some of you, but I have been known to talk a lot, and it doesn't matter if I know you or not. Last week, I met the future version of me.

I was in the doctor's office for a routine checkup, and I was finally called into the back. My actual appointment didn't take long, and I rushed out of the office so that I could get back to work. Well, that was my intention.

In the waiting room an elderly gentleman was sitting by himself waiting for his appointment. No other patients were there. As I walked toward the door he asked me if only one doctor was working today. I answered, and he then continued talking for the next 15-20 minutes on a wide range of topics. I gathered he was just happy to have an audience so I stood there quietly and nodded occasionally.

Here are some of the topics that were brought up:
  • On his first visit to this clinic the doctor stuck a needle THIS BIG (hands held 2 feet apart) up his butt.
  • Seventy-five is a good age to die. After that, the body starts falling apart, and you spend most of your time in the doctor's office.
  • He was 87.
  • When Indians (Native Americans) turned forty, they went off into the woods to die. That seemed like a good idea to him.
  • He voted for Obama because the other clique had their chance for 8 years.
  • I should invest in silver.
All-in-all, it was an entertaining conversation, albeit a bit one-sided. I guess now I know what my friends go through. :)

4 comments:

Ron said...

Oh my gosh, it's like you have a twin. Oh wait, you actually do have a twin.

Anonymous said...

As long as none of YOUR stories start with, "I probably shouldn't tell you this, but..." I think we'll be ok. :)

Anonymous said...

ALWAYS a good story. And as one of your best friends... you don't talk too much! You are AWESOME and so are your stories. I love hearing them... over and over and over again!

Anonymous said...

Don,

As one who works in a hospital and comes into contact with the sick and elderly regularly, it's important to sit there and listen to them, even if they are talking nonsense. They are sometimes so disassociated and lonely that the best you can do is listen and agree.

And, at your age, you don't have that many more years before you are wishing that people would treat you the same way. :O)

But it's true. The elderly need the young. Don Young as a mater of fact.

Keep the faith,

sheryl