Wednesday, January 07, 2009

That time I tried to give my cat a bath

Sometimes, something can seem like a good idea beforehand, only to be monumentally stupid in retrospect. Like the time I tried to give my cat a bath.

Cats are largely low maintenance pets. They poop in a litter box, eat when they're hungry, and take care of their own bathing needs. However, several years ago my cat Boo got into something stinky and needed a bath. So I thought I would be a good owner and give him one.

Boo is a special cat. He's very skittish (thus the name Boo) and doesn't really like to have new things sprung on him. He also still has his claws, and I thought giving him a bath in the tub would be a struggle.

So I had the brilliant idea of bathing him in my shower. It was a stand-alone shower that had a detachable shower head so cleaning him would be really easy. Or that's what I thought.

I didn't want to get water all over the floor --- and I didn't want him to escape --- so I had another brilliant idea: I'll be in the shower with Boo and keep the door closed. I didn't want to get my clothes wet, yet I also didn't want any dangling body parts to be misinterpreted as a cat toy, so I wore swimming trunks in the shower. Plus, being naked would have been a little creepy.

Initially, Boo's bath went well. And by initially, I mean the first one or two seconds. After that, he managed to get lose from my grip and attempted to jump out of the shower. The shower walls were six feet high, so I knew he wasn't going to get out.

Surprisingly, he came very close to the top of the wall. Another surprise was what happened after his jump. Since he was now falling from a high jump, he stuck out his paws to latch onto anything close by.

Which happened to be me. My screams could be heard for miles when Boo's claws dug into my chest and stomach. I immediately opened the shower door so that he could get out and I could attend to my injuries.

As I stood in the shower, in my swimming trunks, rinsing the blood off my body, I thought, "You know, maybe this wasn't such a good idea."

7 comments:

Ron said...

Yeah, swimming trunks make it less creepy.

Anonymous said...

One of the few stories I never get tired of hearing! I suppose I'll still ask you to tell it when we're OLD grandparents :)

Anonymous said...

This is the third and last time I am going to try to leave a message. I may be a computer woss but you are the wooiest cat owner i have ever known. Everyone knows that cats keep themselves clean and to try to bathe them is idiocy.

Love ya,

sheryl

Don Young said...

Camille, you spelled "few" incorrectly. I believe you meant to spell it m-a-n-y.

I'm glad I could help.

Chip said...

holy crap, i actually tried to do the same thing, except i jumped out of the shower and sprayed her from the top.

rhondapalooza said...

Bwahaha!

The only thing more entertaining than reading this story would have been if you'd caught it all on film. ;)

Anonymous said...

I am sorry,but I am still laughing,I see it all in my mind !LEAVE THE BRILLIANT IDEAS TO A WOMEN.