Thursday, July 09, 2009

Let me help you fix that Bible

As you might have noticed, I'm a bit anal retentive. (That's like saying a woman is a bit pregnant.) And obsessive compulsive. And a nerd. I'm fortunate that the work I do (testing software) is made for people like me, but it also means that I like to fix everyone and everything. Even the Bible.

I have a study Bible, also jokingly known as a cheater's Bible, and I gave myself a goal of reading the entire Bible since it's something I've never done before. I started with the New Testament (because it's shorter). When I finish I plan to go back to the Old Testament for more of the historical information.

One of the things I like about the study Bible is the section before each book that describes who the author was, who it was written to or for, and the major themes of that book. Last week I was reading 1 Peter when I see a small typo ... nothing major, and it didn't hinder the meaning of the passage in any way.

But, I couldn't let it go, so I e-mailed the publisher Zondervan this following tidbit:

On the Megathemes section of 1 Peter (pg. 2100), in the Importance portion of the Salvation theme the last sentence spells "should" as "shuld".

I included that I was pretty sure that it had already been corrected for future printings, and I expressed my gratitude for a wonderful Bible.

But now I can rest easy knowing that this version will be fixed for future readers. You're welcome!

EPILOGUE: I got a reply from Carrie Colter in Customer Care (a nice bit of alliteration) saying that the information had been passed on to the Bible department for advisement. In other words, "Thanks, nerd boy. Go have that OCD looked at." :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can see you editing the 10 commandments and other items in the Bible. So we'll soon have the King James version and the Don Young version of the Bible. Yours will probably sell more copies.

Lanny

Mysit said...

I would totally buy the Don Young version. For my kids - since y'all are on the same level. ;-)

Mindy said...

That is so funny...I read it to my 16yr.old. I knew he would appreciate and identify with it...though he said he didn't want to admit it. He immediately started saying..."at least I'm not as bad as (a friend)...every time I borrow a book from him he has corrected all typos in the margins. Also, if my husband sees this I hope you have an alibi that was nowhere near Fl. 16 yrs ago.

sherylmartin said...

I cannot think of anyone else who would try to make corrections to the Bible. And I work with words plus I thought I had the worst case of OCD possible, but I believe you have me beat.

Go with God, my son.

Anonymous said...

As someone who used to proofread - and markup - my wife's love notes, yeah, I get it. I even took it to the next level and became a professional proofreader, which was very satisfying for about a week...