Thursday, December 11, 2008

Bean and cornbread supper

Surprisingly enough, I wasn't always the hip and cool person that I am now. Some of the activities of my youth might have been considered dorky. For example, I played the tuba in band. I know it's what today's cool kids want to play, but way back then it wasn't quite so awesome.

In January or February of every year, our school bands put on a concert in the school cafeteria. A dinner of beans and cornbread was included in the price, and it was also the very first concert for the 6th grade beginner band.

When I was in 6th grade I was a little on the small side. It's safe to say that the tuba probably outweighed me at that time. However, that wasn't an issue because I didn't actually have to hold the tuba. It sat on some brackets that were attached to a chair, and I just sat there and played.

At the concert we didn't have our tuba chairs, so we had to hold them for the first time. Most marching tubas have a pad strapped to it in the area where the tuba meets the shoulder; however, these did not. And again, I was trying to hold up more than my body weight on my left shoulder.

So I struggled. Several times during the first song, it looked as if I was going to tip over and crash to the ground. And I probably would have if one of the dads hadn't walked up from the audience to stand behind me and hold the tuba up.

Was that a hip or cool moment in my life? Probably not, but it was better than if I had dropped the tuba.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This would have been a good one to have posted a pic on!

Anonymous said...

How sweet was that parent to save you like that. lol...I can just picture you falling over with your tuba into the next band member and so on...lol

Anonymous said...

The really lucky part was that the beans and cornbread supper was probably after the concert... we all know what happens to you when you eat beans. That dad would have been history!!

Ter

Laura said...

You are SO comfortable with yourself! The self-degradation continues to ASTOUND me. I guess that's why I love ya!